Thursday, June 20, 2013

Homeland - New Solo Exhibition and Video

'Our Mountain', 60x60cms
My new exhibition, Homeland, opens in The Doorway Gallery on June 27th.

I'm starting to get excited about it now and am really looking forward to seeing the reaction to my latest 'Family' paintings. It's a little bit of a departure for me and has made the new show much more personal. I don't have too many of them in the exhibition but just enough to tell a little story of our time living on Achill Island.


That's the family there in the painting above, on 'our beach', under 'Our Mountain'. Jack the dog isn't ours but he likes to hang around and play with the kids, so he get's to be in the painting!

Homeland Video

I put together a short video, a mix of paintings from the show and some footage that I shot in my studio of me talking about the ideas behind the exhibition. It features a song from The Harvest Ministers, 'You do my world the world of good'.

This was the first single we ever released, it was recorded around the kitchen table in the recording studio in one live take. It's still one of my favourites and just goes to show that sometimes that special 'magic' comes only once and you have to learn to leave as it is once you've found it, and don't go trying to 'improve' or tamper with it. Just like a painting!



No comments:

Post a Comment