Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Music To Paint To

One of the absolute pleasures of being a full time artist is that I get to indulge my other great passion in life - music. The music I listen to in the studio helps to shape a lot of the work I create. It helps to set the mood for the day.

Sometimes I want something loud and noisy (Interpol, Psychedelic Furs, AC/DC), sometimes it has to be melodic with plenty of sing-along-ability (Divine Comedy, Supertramp, The Thrills). And sometimes it just has to be quiet and reflective (Anthony & The Johnsons, Ryan Adams).

The key is that it has to be something that I can listen to over and over again as I hit the repeat button and let the album play for as long as I want it to.

For the past few weeks I've been listening to Gavin Friday's new album Catholic. It's just a beautiful album, every single track. And it seems to set the right mood to match the work I'm producing at the moment. Everytime.

This is a small painting I made last month of some of the trees on the hills around my studio. They are old Scots Pine trees, over a hundred years old.

Here is the opening track from Gavin Friday's album. Great video too.

No comments:

Post a Comment